Monday, February 13, 2012

Southern Plate Meets My Plate

Friends,

I've made it abundantly clear that I love to bake. As a stay-at-home dad I looked for new ways to make meals not only better but more enjoyable. Like a dog with a bone, once I get hold of something I don't let go. One of my greatest 'finds' is www.SouthernPlate.com. Christy Jordan is an absolute maestro when it comes to photographing, blogging, and making meals. She is also a great source of encouragement to me as she comments on my cooking/baking endeavors. I was running out of ink and paper printing off her recipes so I decided to buy her cookbook, "southern plate - classic comfort food that makes everyone feel like family". To honor her (and feed my family), I plan to cook my way through this book and comment on my experience. I'll do my best to post recipes as well but you're best bet (in case I forget) is to visit her website www.SouthernPlate.com.

So, I had planned on making these recipes on Saturday but between field hockey, running errands for my daughter, shopping and preparing for a church fundraiser it got pushed to Sunday.

My first recipe was "Aunt Sue's Pound Cake". I have never made a pound cake in my life. The only time I ever see/have pound cake is when we visit my wife's family and Nannie or Aunt Jodie inevitably make one. This recipe was so easy to prepare. I made it while one daughter created a winter wonderland out of the snow on our deck and other daughter was with my wife at a Mary Kay party. So, you really didn't need to know all that but I felt like sharing.

Here are photos of the finished product.




Next I made "Mama's Custard Sauce" When Christy says to stir continously, STIR CONTINUOUSLY!!! Another name for this is "gravy". I was so happy to see the ingredients actually thicken (like I should be so surprised. Christy has not lied to me - yet).

1/2 cup surgar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Combine the sugar, flour, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in the milk and place over medium (I used medium-low heat. Yes it takes longer but you have less chance of it scorching). Cook, sitrring CONSTANTLY, until just hot.
In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until smooth. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs and stir. Pour the milk and egg mixgure back into the suacepan and cook, sitrring CONSTANTLY over medium heat, until the custard begins to thicken. remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Pour custart through a strainer into a small pitcher. I had neither a strainer nor cheesecloth so I omitted this step. Cool, voer with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

So, I have to add here that I rarely eat what I make so I couldn't wait for my wife to taste it. I carefully cut a slice and tried to adorn the 'gravy' a la Hell's Kitchen contestants. Let's just say I have room for improving my presentation skills. She tried and and said it was good.


Next time I'll post "Kathy's Country Casserole" and "Daddy's Rise and Shine Biscuits".

Happy eating everyone!

ScottR

No comments:

Post a Comment